Department Chair and Full-Time Associate Professor or Professor: Mind-Body Medicine Department:
Academics - 175
FLSA Status: Exempt
Effective Date: No later than 10/01/2019
SCNM is a school of medicine and health sciences grounded in naturopathic principles. Dedicated to the ideal that everyone deserves high quality health care, we engage students in rigorous innovative academic programs, discover and expand knowledge, and empower individuals and communities to achieve optimal health. Naturopathic physicians diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases using a system of practice that is based on the natural healing capacity of individuals. In addition to the medical college, SCNM operates both the SCNM Medical Center and the Neil Riordan Center for Regenerative Medicine onsite. Located in Tempe, Arizona, the overall environment is vibrant and dynamic, with passionate students, staff, and faculty.
POSITION PURPOSE: To serve as Department Chair of the Department of Mind Body Medicine; a clinical and/or didactic full-time faculty member teaching mind-body medicine to naturopathic medical students; to actively engage in research or other scholarly activities; to be an active member of the SCNM community, the broader communities we serve, and the profession; to promote SCNM’s mission, vision, and core values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide administrative support to department faculty, including but not limited to:
▪ Strong and open communication with an open-door policy ▪ Review student course evaluations with faculty each quarter
▪ Directly observe classroom instruction. Provide written evaluation of all fulltime and adjunct faculty members teaching within this department on a regular basis with the goal of continuous improvement in teaching and learning.
▪ In conjunction with the Division Director or administrative leadership, as appropriate, review NPLEX scores after each offering to identify strengths and areas for improvement, including content depth and breadth, delivery best practices, course organization and management, lab practices, course/lab coordination, course series/sequence or other needed changes; ▪ Develop and review department faculty performance improvement plans; ▪ Participate in hiring, and termination, of department faculty;
▪ Create and effectively manage departmental budget in conjunction with Division Director or administrative leadership, as appropriate.
▪ In conjunction with the Division Director or administrative leadership as appropriate, develop and oversee department syllabi, scope and sequence of Office of Human Resources 2 06.03.2019 courses and course content, including curricular revisions;
• Align department efforts and goals within the Division of Therapeutics. • Teach assigned courses, labs, and/or clinical rotations in accordance with current syllabi and outcomes;
• Utilize the university portal (MySCNM) and learning management system (Canvas) to the benefit of student learning; • Employ innovative teaching and learning strategies and methods/technologies, such as active learning, flipped classroom, blended learning, case-based study, team-based learning, laboratory, and self-paced instruction, as appropriate;
• Continuously improve teaching based on assessment results and implementation of best practices in teaching and learning;
• Observe student clerkships in the areas of mind body medicine and provide feedback to clinic faculty to ensure high quality teaching and learning for the students;
• Document modifications to course content and instructional methods based on student and course assessment results/feedback;
• Perform regular evaluations of student knowledge, skills, and attitudes;
• Remain current in the discipline and update course content to reflect advances in the discipline;
• Ensure timely submission of student grades and timely coursework feedback from department faculty;
• Adhere to clinical policies, procedures and expectations.
• Attendance and participation in campus meetings as well as other service opportunities;
• Regularly hold Department meetings and participate in Division meetings; • Participate in the annual Faculty Performance Evaluation (FPE) process;
• Work as part of an academic team and committee environment in a courteous and professional manner;
• Actively participate in scholarly endeavors;
• Promote SCNM’s vision, mission, and core values internally and to external constituencies;
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated breadth of knowledge to effectively teach evidence-informed mindbody medicine;
• Ability to effectively provide high quality learning experiences in the classroom, laboratory, and/or clinical setting;
• Ability to provide excellent patient care in a naturopathic medical center setting; • Ability to inspire, a positive attitude, confidence, commitment, effective oral and written communication, sense of humor, creativity, intuition, honesty, and ability to delegate;
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently;
• Effectively work as a team member with diverse constituencies;
• Ability to manage conflicting priorities and tight deadlines;
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding faculty, staff, and student issues. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• Earned doctorate or professional degree (e.g. ND) from a regionally accredited institution;
• Must hold, or be able to obtain, a license to practice medicine in the state of Arizona.
• A minimum of five years of teaching experience.
• Distance education and blended, (live and online instruction) teaching experience preferred.
• A minimum of five years of clinical experience preferred.
• Experience using electronic health records.
• Experience teaching clinical sciences and therapeutics.
• Ability to embody SCNM’s Core Values:
o We Achieve Excellence
o We Do the Right Thing
o We Are Resilient
o We Shape the Future o We Love
• Ability to participate in a culture of transparency, quality assurance, and continuous improvement in student learning and patient care. SCNM is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status. SCNM is a Smoke-Free campus.
** Once an offer is accepted, all external applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug screen and background check. Offers of employment shall be contingent upon successful completion of the drug testing and background check process.