Election Update 2018
Thursday, November 15, 2018
Posted by: Carrie Baldwin-Sayre | OANP Board President
Friends - please find here a quick election update – we will continue to keep you updated as things pan out at the committee level, but here are the broad brush-strokes!
· Kate Brown, Democrat, with a 5%+ lead over Republican Knute Buehler
· House: Democrats take a Super-Majority by flipping three seats in West Linn, Wilsonville and Hood River
· Senate: Democrats get that Super-Majority by flipping a seat in Medford/Ashland and holding off a strong challenge in Hillsboro/Forest Grove.
A Super-Majority in both chambers, with a Democrat in the Executive Office, means that a re-examination of revenues and expenditures is surely on the horizon. Major policy packages that industry and business is likely to feel a sting from will include initiatives to reduce the state’s impact on the environment, gun violence prevention measures, healthcare delivery system modernizations and more!
Ballot Measure results allowed for local governments to leverage bonding to increase affordable housing stock, but not much else.
1. M103, a freeze on grocery taxes (AKA- backdoor constitutional ban on increased taxes) did not pass
2. M104, a reconfiguration of the required votes to increase fees (AKA - backdoor constitutional change on majorities) did not pass
3. M105, a reversal of Oregon's long-standing ban on spending state funds on immigration busts, did not pass
4. M106, a reversal of Oregon law that allows for women on the Oregon Health Plan to access the full suite of reproductive-rights
Federal Changes: Democrats took over control of the U.S. House of Representatives but were unable to achieve the same in the U.S. Senate. This sea-change might be enough to shake up the kind of policy that is forwarded from the House.
As far as how the election impacts the legislative work that OANP is currently focused on, we’re in a good place. We have met with several legislators that were re-elected, and those bipartisan relationships will be a huge support in the House and Senate as we present our bill and testify at December Legislative Days.
If you are interested in getting more involved with OANP and our legislative efforts, email firstname.lastname@example.org!