Legislative Update on Pay Parity
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Posted by: Jeff Clark and Niki Terzieff | OANP Leg. Committee
We have had a busy and fruitful few months on the legislative front.
Angela Cortal, Amanda Watters, Carrie Baldwin-Sayre, Patrick Chapman, Khivan Oberoi, Emma Petshow, Bill Walter, Jeff Clark and lobbyist Niki Terzieff made the rounds in Salem in December. Dr. Cortal and Beth Martin, our executive director also made the trek, and based on those meetings, we added 13 new co-sponsors to our pay parity bill, bringing the number of legislators that have signed their support of our bill to almost 17. Representative Jon Lively of Eugene is now a Chief Sponsor of our bill as is Senator Laurie Monnes-Anderson, who is also the Chair of the Senate Health Care Committee. Most surprising, and happily so, is that Mitch Greenlick, Chair of the House Health Care Committee also signed on as a co-sponsor along with his vice-chair Rob Nosse. Each little action will be critical to our success, and we thank everyone who participated over the last few months.
We are planning a date in January for our executive team to do some follow up meetings, and are also working with our Key Contacts group of NDs to do a BIG lobby day on February 19th.
We have one bill that will be introduced in the Senate. This bill will be a Senate Health Care Committee bill and will be introduced no later than February 26th, based on the legislative deadlines set by leadership.
We will also have one bill on the House side. This bill we are shopping around to gain individual support from legislators. This bill we will work and ask for signatures through the end of January. At that time we will be introducing it and revealing it to the world (up till now, it's not public!)
We have a new set of faces to begin educating and advocating with at this juncture, as well: those who were just appointed to the two health care committees. This group consists of 5 Legislators:
- Senators: Dennis Linthicum (R- Klamath Falls) and Shemia Fagan (D- East County, Happy Valley)
- Representatives: Denyc Boles (D- SE Salem), Christine Drazan (R- Canby) and Tiffiny Mitchell (D- Tillamook)
1. Between now and Feb. 1st: make contact, educate, advocate and ask for sponsorships with legislators.
2. Between Feb. 1st and March 29th: must secure a hearing and a vote from the Chair of House Health Care
Note: some bills get a hearing and some get a vote, some get both and many get none
3. February 19th OANP Advocacy Day at the Capitol *** mark your calendars***
4. Between March 29th and April 9th we must secure passage off of the House floor (then it goes over to the Senate Health Care Committee)
There has been a LOT of advocacy activity. Many of you have joined us in Salem (and beyond) in the past few months and the results are clear: your participation has made a difference. It has been a month since the Advocacy Bootcamp, and OANP members are in motion; meeting with their legislators, monitoring public hearings, personally signing on sponsors for our bill and getting some surprises along the way!
- Your support! If you are interested in attending the lobby day on February 19th, please email email@example.com.
- Donate to the PAC! We use this fund to grease the wheels with our legislators. Click here to donate
Your activity is critical to our success - we think you'll find it is easier than it seems!
-Jeff and Niki